Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Inverted Caps Lock on virtual machines? No problem!

Problem 

I'm using a VMware Fusion virtual machine for an Oracle online college class.
Sometimes, a weird issue occurs, while using SQL.

When entering my commands, my CAPS LOCK key gets suddenly inverted.

In other terms, while keeping CAPS LOCK pressed, commands are typed in lowercase, and vice versa.

I like my keywords and my commands to be all caps and the values in lowercase.

That makes it easier for me to understand what I wanted to achieve with those commands when looking at them at a later time.

I think consistency helps, in this case.
I got forced to use my keyboard by reversing its functionalities.
This issue was driving me up the wall and the only solution I found was to restart the virtual machine.
Sadly, all would work fine only for a while, until the problem went back.

Solution 

Some online digging led me to a more effective solution, which applies both to VMware Fusion and to other similar programs.

When using virtualization software, your virtual keyboard might at times not receive the keys you press on your physical keyboard.

This sync problem is more frequent with XP virtual machines (which is exactly my case), and can be solved from Virtual Machine/Send Key/Caps Lock.

Sadly, this might not fix it for good.
The same issue could be back after a while, but it can quickly be solved as shown above.

Hope it helps.

Comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...