How to keep ransomware out of your network
However, ransomware has started becoming a severe threat in corporate environments, too.
- If you receive any suspicious email attachments (regardless of their file extensions. It doesn't always need, or appear, to be an .exe file), delete them right away.
- If one or more clients get compromised, disconnect them immediately from the network.
- If your company uses cloud storage, disconnect infected clients to prevent them from syncing to the cloud.
- If you haven't performed a backup already (really??), do it now.
- Be ready to re-image the infected machine(s), if that's the case.
- Re-connect infected machines to the network only after making sure they're running a clean and trusted configuration
A formal and effective backup strategy is absolutely paramount to mitigate this threat.
The hospital incident has dramatically shown how important this concept is.
Will organizations learn this lesson?