Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Windows 10 issue no. 1: One Drive won’t sync - How to solve it

I upgraded my Windows 8.1 laptop to Windows 10 and was playing around with it, working on a review that will come out in the next days, when I realized my OneDrive didn't sync any longer.

According to online sources, Microsoft is going to replace OneDrive with File Explorer.

Good job, I have a bunch of files that will have to be moved to another cloud solution.

Like I had widely forecast, Microsoft starts playing its old backwards compatibility game.

Too bad, because I was having a positive user experience.
The solution, according to Microsoft Forum is to:
  • Fully close OneDrive. If it's in the system tray, right click on it and then press exit.
  • Go into your user folder, remove all your files (save a copy to an external hard drive) and delete the empty OneDrive folder.
  • Go to C:\Users\"Your User Name"\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive (AppData is a hidden folder. Make sure the option to view hidden folders is turned on.)
  • Click on OneDrive.exe. It will tell you that it cannot find OneDrive folder on your PC and that it needs to reconfigure OneDrive.
  • You will then be asked to create a new OneDrive folder and you will then get the option to sync the files that are located on the OneDrive server.

    I'm troubleshooting this problem right now, but in the meantime a real crappy job, guys!

    30 GB space come in handy, but become an annoyance if I have to go through this crap over and over again every time you release a new operating system,

    I stopped using Windows as my main OS years ago and that's exactly why. No consideration for user experience.

    Don't take my word on that, have a look at Microsoft's official sources.

    OneDrive was working fine and I could easily sync files with my Mac but, when something works, Microsoft decides it's time to move on.

    Sadly their "updates" are often unworkable solutions and, in the meantime developers come out with a workaround, the user has to troubleshoot the problem and a bunch of time and money go down the drain.

    I hoped Microsoft had done utilizing users as beta testers, but it doesn't seem so.

    In the last two days developers were still fixing bugs. I believe overall they've done a great job with Windows 10, but they'd maybe have to go back to the lab.

    I didn't spare criticisms on Apple, as well, with regard to several unsolved Yosemite bugs.

    Apple, though, doesn't usually remove applications overnight, Microsoft does.

    I'm gonna keep you posted but, thankfully, I don't rely on Windows for my work and this makes me feel much better.

    Update: the proposed solution worked and I could sync my OneDrive files. Looks like the app started working regularly again.

    Comments

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...