Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Windows 10 installation guide - A smooth DIY upgrade


In these days, Microsoft is slowly rolling out the Windows 10 upgrade to its users (home users first, and then business).

Though being a Windows insider, that means I need to wait along with other 5 million people for the upgrade notification to pop up on my laptop.
I decided I don't want to wait and I'm going to upgrade my laptop by using the Windows 10 ISO.

DISCLAIMER: I performed the upgrade on my laptop, running a genuine Windows 8.1 version, and this guide is not intended to facilitate upgrading pirated system.
I'm not responsible for any unintended use of the below directions.


Steps

Preparation
  1. Download Windows 10 ISO 
  2. Download and install Windows USB/DVD Download Tool
  3. Plug in a USB drive at least 4GB big (the bigger the better).
  4. Create a bootable Windows 10 USB installer. The tool is straightforward, but you can find more information here.
Caveat

Don't boot from the USB installer. When I did it, I was asked for my serial number to activate Windows . When I entered it, Windows didn't accept my serial (maybe because it's an OEM, but I had problems finding it regardless).
I believe that happened because Windows 10 is devised like an upgrade on top of Windows 8.1 and not as a clean install. At a later stage of the procedure, you're given the chance to perform a fresh re-install, if you want so.

Installation
  1. Open your USB installer in Windows Explorer, from inside Windows 8.1, and click setup.exe. This will launch the installation wizard.
  2. You'll be first requested to download important updates. Click Yes. 
  3. After confirming your PC can run the upgrade (fingers crossed here, there can be some processor issues with older computers or in virtual machines), you'll start the actual installation procedure and will have to accept the new license.
  4. Afterward, Windows will download updates (yes, again!!). 
  5. Then, Windows will go through a preparation stage.
  6. At this point you can decide whether to keep your files and folders, or not (performing a clean install).
  7. The actual installation wizard will start and it'll take at least 30-45 minutes (the actual duration depends a lot on your hardware, I have a relatively new laptop). 
  8. Your PC will restart 3-4 times when each one of the 3 installation stages (Copying files, Installing features & drivers and Configuring settings) gets completed. While installing, you'll be shown this wizard: 
After 30-45 minutes, le voilà!

Login with Your Microsoft account and start enjoying Windows 10.

This procedure worked smoothly for me and I hope it can work OK for you, too.

Feel free to give me your feedback in case of problems.

Comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...