Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

OS X 10.10 Yosemite issues - Bugs for all. Wake up, Apple!


Last Updated: August 6, 2015.

After upgrading to Yosemite I've been up with several issues, not addressed yet by Apple.


  1. Apple Mail becomes Read-Only: Apple Mail had suddenly stopped working, so I decide to delete my account and re-add back it. After doing so, surprise, surprise! Mail suddenly won't accept my password. So I repeat the operation and Apple Mail becomes Read-Only. I try a couple of tweaks, such as deleting preference files, but nothing works. At this point I re-install OS X Yosemite from scratch but, when I open Mail to add my account, Mail is displayed again as Read-Only. Are you kidding me? I end up restoring a clone previously created after a Yosemite clean install. Afterwards, Mail isn't read-only any longer but, for some reason, won't add my Gmail account. When I go through the process, I get the message " an unknown error has occurred when trying to add your account". There must be something wrong in the system files of the new OS regardless because, when I opened Apple Mail for the first time within a Yosemite virtual machine created from scratch, my inbox was read-only, too (see figure below). 
  2. Apple Mail doesn't work any longer with Gmail: After some Web search, I found the reason why my Google account couldn't be added. Google has changed things around and now, for several applications to work with it, you need to access the Security tab of your Google+ profile and enable "the less secure applications to access it" from Settings/Security. In order to harden the security of its applications after the recent breaches, Google has made it totally impossible for you to do things the way you were used to. Thumbs down for Google in this case. I get the reason why they did that but I don't think that forcing the user to bring down the security level of their accounts for common applications to work with Google is the smartest possible solution. I tried adding my Gmail account after changing this setting, but it didn't work either. At the end of the day, I switched to Thunderbird. The day later, I tried again to add my Gmail account to Apple Mail and it miraculously worked, so I got Apple mail client up and running again. 
  3. Intermittent Wi-Fi: Especially after waking from sleep, Wi-Fi gets dropped for a while and you need to wait for the system to reconnect. This inconvenience can be limited by deselecting "Wake for Network Access" from System Preferences/Energy Saver. Other experts recommend to turn off Bluetooth or to delete Airport preference file. If you own wireless mouse and keyboard, the first solution isn't very viable. In my experience, disabling the above setting in System Preferences and/or changing Wi-Fi channel solves the problem in most cases.
  4. Apple Mail plays the "New Message" sound for all messages and not only for the Inbox folder: After upgrading to Yosemite, Mail plays the new messages sound for all messages and not only for the incoming emails in the Inbox folder.  I tried both to select and to deselect the flag from "Play sound for other mail action", like someone suggested, but I wasn't able to solve this problem. At the end of the day, I disabled the new messages sound by selecting "None" (it was annoying the hell out of me) and I created two custom rules to play personalized sounds for specific types of emails, turning the problem into an opportunity, but this won't do anyway.
  5. QuickTime Player's Screen Recording functionality doesn't work any longer: After clicking Stop Recording, an error message pops up ("Cannot record. Try recording again"). I performed two fresh re-installs but I wasn't able to solve this problem, nor I could find any solutions online.
Wrap-up

Yosemite is a reliable and fast operating system but I find inexcusable for a company such as Apple, often considered as a yardstick of excellence in the past, to release a new operating system that features so many unsolved issues.

Windows users have complained for years about Microsoft's strategy of releasing the product first and test it later but, after Steve Job's death, Apple seems to start going this way as well, which doesn't make me happy.

We can only wait for an update to address these issues but, in the meantime, I can say that Steve Job's death has probably deprived us both of a great man (regardless of how controversial his persona can be considered) and of a great company.

Though being a satisfied Apple user, this won't do, dear Cupertino folks, and I hope you can prove me wrong.

I dare you.


11/19/2014 Update: I have just installed the first Yosemite update (10.10.1) but it doesn't address these issues. 

2/21/2015 Update: Yosemite 10.10.2 update hasn't addressed the above problems yet. 

 5/26/2015 Update: The current version (OS X 10.10.3) has still left the above issues unsolved. After a fresh re-install, I found out that, though Apple Mail shows up as "Read-Only", when you first start it, it allows to add your email account.

7/19/2015 Update: The 10.10.4 update hasn't addressed any of these issues yet.

8/6/2015 Update: I've just installed El CapitĂ n Public Beta 3 and most of these issues are still unsolved. However, I reported them through Feedback Assistant and I wrote to Tim Cook (I found his email on Quora).

Comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...